You are responsible to answer these questions by reading the 2 essays . The answer should be in an essay form but it should answer all the given questions. No need for intro or conclusion
Hardin- Excerpts from “The Tragedy of the Commons” Van Vugt- “Averting the Tragedy of the Commons”
In this excerpt from Hardin’s foundational article, “The Tragedy of the Commons,” what is “the tragedy of the commons?” What are two examples of this phenomena today? How does Hardin suggest that we can avoid this tragedy from happening? Are there limits to the ability to prevent this tragedy? Why?
As Van Vugt points out in his rebuttal article, community resource management projects have not devolved in the ways that Hardin would have imagined common resources would have. What are the four foci of intervention and their core motives and outcomes that Van Vugt identifies as the reasons for successful common resource management? (hint: you need WAY more than the chart)
After reading both of these articles, consider the following: absent any other interventions, do you think we can be trusted not to resort to the tragedy of the commons? Why or why not?
- What is fermentation?
- Describe how alcohol is produced.
- Did Prohibition reduce alcohol abuse? How long did it last?
- About how many standard drinks can the typical person metabolize an hour?
- How much alcohol would it take for you to reach the legal limit?
- Describe the four groups in the balanced placebo design and what was the outcome of each in the study?
- About what percentage of traffic fatalities are alcohol related each year?
- Is it a good idea to drink alcohol to stay warm in the winter? Why or why not?
- Can brain damage, or “wet brain” can be reversed after many years of drinking?
- How is alcohol absorbed into the blood stream and what factors influence the effects of alcohol on the body?
- What are the harmful effects of prolonged alcohol use?
- Describe the features of a typical FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome) child.
- Is alcoholism a disease? Why or why not?
- Describe the stages of alcohol withdrawal syndrome in a very heavy drinker.
- Describe ways that Americans have tried to control alcohol consumption.
- What are some of the social problems associated with alcohol consumption?
- Define- Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome.
- What is Cirrhosis?
- What causes Delirium Tremens?