a) Explain what the Sustainable Development Goals are and
b) your role as an engineer in achieving the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
c) List five sustainable development goals you believe you can contribute to as a civil/environmental engineer and list two specific targets associated with each of the five SDGs you identified that a civil/environmental engineer you can contribute to. One of the five SDGs you select should be SDG 11 (Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable).
• Why is it so important for civil engineers to take sustainability seriously? – The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) is a professional membership body based in the U.K. with 95,000 civil engineer members. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4FZKrZIOhg (Links to an external site.) (2.06 mins)
• The Sustainable Development Goals – Action Towards 2030 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xdy1Jr2eg (Links to an external site.) (5.52 mins)
• Emma Watson introduces The World’s Largest Lesson 2016 #2 – The Global Goals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTt5YW7Pagc (Links to an external site.) (5.28 mins)
• https://sdgs.un.org/goals (Links to an external site.) (SDGs are listed along with individual targets under each SDG)
Role of engineers with SDGs
• Why are the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals so important? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVe0CtW8rxw (Links to an external site.) (1.55 mins)
• Engineers: Leaders in Sustainable Infrastructure Development (makes a case for encouraging engineers to be leaders in sustainable development and offers insight on how Canada approaches sustainable design) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQGyE1gx6A (Links to an external site.) (2.45 mins)
• Creating Sustainable Communities – Part I ASCE – Discussion on the role engineers play in the Partnership for Sustainable Communities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-GfdWuviZY (Links to an external site.) (7.21 mins)