ID Questions: Write as much as you can covering the who, what, where, when, & why for each term (8 total)
Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
Domestic Slave Trade
The Bank War
Election of 1860
Panic of 1819
Indian Removal Act
The Compromise of 1850
Battle of Gettysburg
Putting Out System
Lewis and Clark Expedition
Fugitive Slave Act
Confederate States of America
Sherman’s March to the Sea
Texas War for Independence
Appomattox Court House
Mexican American War
Dred Scott Decision
Assassination of Lincoln
SAQ Questions: Write as much as it takes to effectively answer the question (4 total)
1) Why did the US focus on internal improvements in the early 19th century? What role did innovation and technology play in this process?
2) How did Jackson’s Presidency shape the course of the nation for the next 20 years?
3) Were the political changes of the early nineteenth century positive or negative? Explain your opinion.
4) What are the economic and political issues raised by having an imbalance between free and slave states? Why did the balance of free and slave states matter?
5) How did the Compromise of 1850 both settle the short-term issues in the Union and create problems for the future?
6) What was the Dred Scott Decision and how did it ratchet up tensions between North and South even further?
7) Why did the North prevail in the Civil War? What might have turned the tide of the war against the North?
8) Could the differences between the North and South have been worked out in late 1860 and 1861? Could war have been avoided
Essay Question (1 total)
1) How and why did the United States begin to industrialize in the early nineteenth century?
2) Trace the development of the Crisis that led to Civil War beginning with the Missouri Compromise of 1820.
3) Explain the advantages and disadvantages that the North and South faced at the outset of the Civil War. What was the key in your opinion to the eventual victory of the North in the war?